Apna Ghar, Inc. (Our Home) provides holistic services and conducts outreach and advocacy across immigrant communities to end gender violence. Our comprehensive services include a 24 hour crisis line, emergency and second stage housing through a purpose built safe home, and scattered site transitional housing apartments, individual and group counseling and therapy for adults and children, legal advocacy including a volunteer attorney led family law legal clinic, case management services to address educational, employment, healthcare and other critical needs, a supervised visitation and safe exchange program that includes a court liaison, as well as community education and systems advocacy, all in an effort to intervene, prevent, and end gender violence. Visit www.apnaghar.org for more information.
The Supervised Visitation and Safe Exchange (SVSE) Advocate ensures that families receive services to promote safety and well-being of children and survivor parents. The advocate ensures children can visit with their non-residential parents and family members in a supervised setting at our locations or in an unsupervised setting by facilitating a safe exchange between residential and visiting parents/family members. The advocate also connects families to needs-based services internally and externally. We seek an individual who is self-motivated and a self-starter with the ability to work well under pressure. Hours will include weekends and evenings. The position also requires working and traveling between site locations. RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
• Assesses family needs by responding to service seekers calling our crisis line or administrative line and/or walking in for services
• Conducts in depth intakes and orientations with each family member including children to further assess family needs and create appropriate service plans
• Provides in depth, comprehensive services based on each family member's needs, supervises and facilitates visits and safe exchanges, ensures that families are connected to additional needs based services within the agency and externally
• Provides appropriate needs based referrals and connections to community resources including group counseling and other similar services
• Liaises effectively with courts and legal systems to ensure that the family’s legal needs particularly child related remedies are met
• Conducts effective outreach to discuss SVSE services to the broader community of service providers and policymakers alike
• Demonstrate cultural humility by understanding the intersectionality of race, gender and class, and use this approach in providing services, conducting advocacy and outreach
• Possesses a strong ability to balance support for adult and children survivors, as well as interacting with and providing appropriate services and referrals to those who have used violence to ensure enhanced safety for the survivors
• Maintains confidentiality of written and verbal records and information
• Assists with program development and expansion, and perform other tasks as assigned
Master’s degree and two years of working in social services, legal services, advocacy or other similar settings
Apna Ghar, Inc. (Our Home) provides holistic services and conducts advocacy across immigrant communities in the Chicago area to end gender violence. Apna Ghar empowers women to be self-sufficient by a full spectrum of services from education to emergency and transitional housing to counseling and legal services.
Our programs are culturally and linguistically appropriate. Comprehensive services... include an emergency shelter, legal advocacy, transitional housing, individual counseling and group therapy, case management, outreach and education, and a supervised visitation and safe exchange center. Visit www.apnaghar.org for more information.