Vice President, General Counsel & Corporate Secretary
American Coatings Association
February 26, 2018
Full Time - Experienced
The Vice President and General Counsel will oversee the legal affairs and corporate compliance functions of the Association and all affiliate organizations. The position will provide legal counsel and guidance on trademarks, intellectual property and trade secrets, tax exempt status, real estate leases, policies, employment practices, insurance and risk management. This position will be a member of the association's senior staff leadership team, report to the President and CEO, and among other duties will provide staff support for the Science and Technology Committee working in conjunction with the ACA Chief Science Officer, as well as the Legal and Government Affairs Advisory Committee, working in tandem with ACA Vice President of Government Affairs but having primary management responsibility for this committee as staff liaison. The Vice President and General Counsel will act as Corporate Secretary for ACA.
o Works in a highly collaborative manner with members, senior staff and divisions of the Association and staff assigned to affiliated organizations.
o Works in concert with the Vice President of Government Affairs, Vice President Health, Safety and Environmental Affairs, and Vice President Global Affairs and Chief Science Officer as a key member of the senior staff team to advise the President and CEO on association programs and services as well as legislative, regulatory, and policy initiatives and strategy affecting the industry.
o Serves as the chief legal advisor to the American Coatings Association and its Executive Committee, Board of Directors, Budget and Finance Committee, President and CEO, and the senior staff team as well as all affiliated organizations.
o Serves as Corporate Secretary of the Association.
o Supervises and manages an internal team of three attorneys and one paralegal.
o Provides legal advice on issues which must be considered when decisions are made by Executive Committee, Board or President and CEO and affiliated organizations.
o Provides legal advice and support to the ACA Finance and Accounting Division to ensure compliance will all laws pertaining to non-profits.
o In partnership with the Vice President of Finance and Accounting, provides legal advice on internal controls, policies and procedures related to IRS requirements and other exempt status practices.
o Oversees and manages litigation impacting ACA and its affiliates, including responding to subpoenas and retains and manages outside legal counsel for these purposes.
o Serves as primary liaison and spokesperson for the Association and its affiliates on corporate compliance and litigation related matters.
o Serve as primary liaison between the Association and member company legal departments and their General Counsels.
o Serves as primary staff to ACA Legal and Government Affairs Committee working in partnership with ACA VP Government Affairs.
o Serves as staff Counsel to ACA Science and Technology Committee working in partnership with ACA Chief Science Officer.
o Advises the Association on litigation and other risks of potential business or policy decisions and practices.
o Oversees the acquisition and maintenance of all insurance policies for the Association and all affiliates.
o Oversee ACA membership recruitment and retention program including Membership Director position.
o Reviews and revises all corporate documents, contracts and policies and procedures as necessary.
o Ensures that ACA and its affiliates maintain compliance with all corporate and organizational regulatory requirements; provides oversight of legal issues related to insurance and professional liability.
o Oversees FEC and state regulatory compliance for PaintPAC including ensuring the adequacy of PAC governance, solicitation and contribution procedures and responsibilities.
o Maintains organizational compliance with Anti-trust laws, providing staff training and development in this area and maintains compliance with the Association's record retention policy.
o Advises Human Resources on compliance with all personnel policies and employment related law.
o Manages the Association's Amicus Program.
o Manages all Intellectual Property matters for the Association and its affiliates.
o Performs other duties assigned by the President and CEO.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
Education and Qualifications:
• J.D. from an accredited law school required.
• Active bar membership in good standing in at least one U.S. jurisdiction.
• Knowledge of Federal and state laws and regulations that govern non-profit Associations.
• Experience working with or in a non-profit organization or trade Association.
• Strong negotiation, communication, organizational and people management skills and the ability to influence, collaborate and build relationships.
• Experience with the management or oversight of litigation.
• Experience providing legal counsel to senior management and Board of Directors.
• Knowledge of Association insurance requirements and negotiation and writing of contracts for such ventures as trade shows, meetings, employee contracts, and vendor relationships, royalty agreements and commercial ventures.
• Knowledge of contract law.
• Knowledge of antitrust laws and relevant regulations.
• Knowledge of tax law and regulations as applied to non-profits.
• Experience in managing intellectual property matters and rights of non-profits.
• Experience in employee relations or labor law matters.
Personal Attributes and Traits:
• Self-starter and independent thinker who can work in a collaborative, respectful and lean environment.
• Demonstrated energy and enthusiasm.
• Ability to set goals, prioritize and complete projects independently.
• Superior drafting and negotiation skills.
• Excellent interpersonal, presentation and communication skills.
• Ability to communicate effectively with non-legal audiences and build consensus.
• Ability to develop effective relationships and work well with other departments (legal and non- legal).
• Strong analytical, problem-solving and conflict resolution skills.
• An absolute commitment to excellence and integrity.
Additional Salary Information: ACA offers a competitive salary and benefits package (medical, dental, vision, 401k, LTD/STD)
About American Coatings Association
The ACA is a voluntary, non-profit trade association working to advance the needs of the paint and coatings industry and the professionals who work in it. The Association represents paint and coatings manufacturers, raw materials suppliers, distributors, and technical professionals. ACA serves as an advocate and ally for members on legislative, regulatory and judicial issues, and provides forums for the advancement and promotion of the industry through educational and professional development services.