Senior Counsel, Ethicon - Digital Surgery and Interventional Solutions
Johnson & Johnson
March 30, 2018
Somerville, New Jersey
Full Time - Experienced
Senior Counsel, Ethicon - Digital Surgery and Interventional Solutions(Job Number: 5828180312)
The Johnson & Johnson Law Department is recruiting for a Senior Counsel within the Global Surgery group (Ethicon) of the Medical Devices sector. This position primarily supports the Digital Surgery and Interventional Solutions platforms of Ethicon. The preferred location for this position is on-site at the Ethicon campus in Somerville, NJ, and it will have a direct reporting line to the Assistant General Counsel, Ethicon.
Caring for the world, one person at a time has inspired and united the people of Johnson & Johnson for over 125 years. We embrace research and science -- bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people. Employees of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies work with partners in health care to touch the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world.
With $76.5 billion in 2017 sales, Johnson & Johnson is the world's most comprehensive and broadly based manufacturer of health care products, as well as a provider of related services, for the consumer, pharmaceutical, and medical devices markets. There are more than 265 Johnson & Johnson operating companies employing approximately 126,500 people and with products touching the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world. If you have the talent and desire to touch the world, Johnson & Johnson has the career opportunities to help make it happen.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
As a Senior Counsel, you will:
• Provide senior management and other business partners with strategic legal advice and counsel in all areas of law, to further the interests of the business while protecting the company's rights, interests, and reputation.
• Be a member of the platform leadership teams and coordinate legal matters for the platforms and the Ethicon business.
• Partner with business clients, colleagues in the Johnson & Johnson Law Department and outside counsel, as appropriate, to support business opportunities while ensuring compliance with legislation, industry guidelines and internal policies.
• Proactively pursue, assess and, where appropriate, advance a wide range of proposed business initiatives and materials, most notably in the areas of information technology, robotics, artificial intelligence, software, data analytics, sales and marketing, regulatory affairs, health care compliance, privacy, reimbursement, and clinical trials.
• Be responsible for preparing and negotiating complex commercial agreements in the areas listed above, including consulting, supply, development, sales, distribution, co-marketing and clinical trial agreements.
• Assist in litigation and investigations and managing outside counsel relationships, work flow and budget.
• Lead and serve on project teams and committees to assess and implement special/significant projects in the local business and/or J&J Law Department.
• Assist in enabling the vision of digital surgery by establishing collaboration agreements with customers and supporting them to be able to integrate the digital surgery platform in their institution.
• Work in close collaboration with internal business partners, technology providers, and customers, to define our data analytics solutions and enable customers to prepare their IT infrastructure accordingly.
• Assist in anticipating and negotiating data ownership issues and rights stemming from our data analytics solutions
• A Juris Doctor Degree and admission to the bar in good standing in at least one U.S. jurisdiction is required.
• A minimum of 5 years of experience relevant to the key responsibilities set forth above at a top tier, major market law firm, or in-house legal department of a multinational corporation are required.
• Prior experience related to information systems, data management, and IT consulting for hospital systems, particularly within the life sciences sector, is preferred.
• Working understanding of the role of big data, machine learning, and AI in driving business / clinical insights would be highly regarded.
• Significant prior experience and ability to analyze, structure, negotiate, and finalize technology partnerships, and collaborations, enterprise SaaS agreements for EHR, PHR, and analytics platforms with major healthcare providers, IP agreements, BAA service agreements, and digital information exchanges is preferred.
• Experience advising on HIPAA is required; experience advising on HITECH compliant processes for cloud-based healthcare platforms is preferred.
• Experience advising on applicable healthcare regulations, including AKS and Stark Law is preferred.
• Ability, to deal with ambiguity inherent in emerging areas and to lead innovative problem-solving that addresses new business challenges in a highly competitive market is required.
• Strong communication skills and ability to interact with and counsel senior executives is required.
• Excellent collaborative skills, including the ability to coordinate with J&J attorneys, external counsel, business leaders and other advisors and provide strong ethical leadership are required.
• A positive attitude and the skills and global mindset to work across business functions and cultures with teams located in multiple time zones, and to act independently in a fast-paced environment are required.
• Demonstrated willingness to listen and learn and proven ability to make and respectfully explain proper decisions (even when this leads to tough business discussions) is required.
• Ability to receive specific direction from more senior law professionals and provide guidance to professional staff in developing solutions to problems presented is required.
• Must be able to travel up to 25% of the time both, domestically and internationally.
Primary Location: North America-United States-New Jersey-Somerville