The International Services Coordinator works with prospective and current English Language Institute (ELI) and Missouri State University (MSU) sponsored international students, serves as an advisor and admissions counselor to sponsored students, and as a liaison with the students, their scholarship managing organizations, and MSU. The International Services Coordinator processes requests by MSU departments for short- and long-term visiting scholars and facilitates cultural awareness and integration events for both Department of State (DOS) sponsored students and J Scholars and their families. The International Services Coordinator acts as a primary Designated School Official (DSO)/Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) in the Office of International Services, providing support to other departments within International Programs as needed. The International Services Coordinator maintains and processes student immigration records in the Student and Exchange Visitors Information System (SEVIS) database and the International Student and Scholar Management system (ISSM) in conjunction with the Immigration Support Coordinator and the Director of International Services (Principal Designated School Official (PDSO). The International Services Coordinator facilitates international employment authorization for MSU international students, staff, and faculty and serves as liaison with MSU-approved immigration attorneys hired to petition H-1b Employment Visas and Lawful Permanent Residency (LPR) status on behalf of MSU faculty and staff.
Description of Primary Duties:
1. Ensures compliance of Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations by keeping abreast of current immigration regulatory requirements and utilizing the SEVIS system as it pertains to F-1 Students and J-1 Students and Scholars at Missouri State University.
2. Admits and supports sponsored students and scholars as it pertains to their immigration, academic, cross-cultural, and financial needs at the University, including application processing, academic advising, arrival/departure support, orientation, and cultural programming.
3. Serves as primary liaison with sponsoring agencies and all MSU departments that provide services to the sponsored student population, reviews and maintains contracts, coordinates and oversees billing, reviewing program application submissions, providing regular communication, and facilitating agency visits.
4. Prepares DHS/USCIS/SEVIS documents requested and required for F-1 Students and J-1 Students and Scholars within all departments of International Programs and assists F-1Students and J-1 Students and Scholars with USCIS applications, requests, and/or correspondence.
5. Serves as the University point of contact for employment authorization for international students, staff, and faculty and with external immigration attorneys regarding processing MSU faculty and staff H-1b Visa and Permanent Residency petitions and facilitates the Permanent Residency Approval Committee (PRAC) in conjunction with the Director and MSU General Counsel.
6. Assists in the planning and implementation of International Student Orientation, employment authorization workshops, and cross-cultural activities.
7. Contributes to the overall success of International Services and International Programs by providing excellent customer service to all MSU international students, scholars, faculty, and staff.
8. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
9. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by the Director of International Services.
10. Contributes to the overall success of International Services by performing all other duties as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
Education: A Bachelor's Degree is required; a Master's degree is preferred.
Experience: One year of work experience in higher education in the United States is preferred. Experience working with SEVIS as it pertains to F and J visa holders is preferred. Previous international credential evaluation experience is preferred. Previous or current working knowledge of processing systems such as Banner and ISSM is preferred. Prior experience working with an international clientele is preferred.
Skills: Effective cross-cultural and interpersonal communication skills are required. Effective organizational skills and attention to detail are required. A working knowledge of spreadsheet, and database applications is required. Knowledge of recruitment and admission procedures and policies is required. Strong verbal and written communication skills are required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures and backgrounds is required.
Other: Must be U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident, eligible by law to access and use SEVIS.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Official transcripts will be required at the time of hire.
Do you value every voice and every opinion?
Are you inspired to create a better future for yourself and others?
Are you ready to make a difference?
If so, Missouri State has a place for you
Missouri State University is a public, comprehensive university system with a mission in public affairs. Our purpose is to develop fully educated persons with a focus on ethical leadership, cultural competence and community engagement.
• Enrollment of 26,000 students who come from around the state and the world.
• Four-campus system: Springfield, Mo., West Plains and Mountain Grove, Mo., and Dalian,
• Students’ average ACT score above national average
• Strong commitment to both teaching and research
• More than 190 undergraduate options; 90 graduate options
• Located in Springfield, third-largest city in state; known for beautiful outdoors, friendly people, superior health care, excellent public schools, and a variety of entertainment and cultural opportunities.
Missouri State is committed to benefiting our surrounding communities. We want to create the next generation of citizen leaders through an unrivaled educational experience that emphasizes a com...mitment to public affairs.
With a campus community filled with diverse perspectives, voices and opinions, Missouri State is fulfilling its commitment to address the needs of a changing society. We are a community of forward-thinking teachers, learners and leaders.
We cultivate students of character who enter the workforce as well-rounded professionals and honest, confident individuals. We believe in innovation, bringing fresh, relevant ideas to our area.
We are dedicated to enriching our city and region, whether through cultural offerings, research and scholarly endeavors, internship programs or the development of facilities that serve a broader community beyond our campus borders.
When you work at Missouri State, you tap into a network of leaders with an appreciation for big-picture thinking and a continual desire to address the professional, personal and societal needs of our changing region. There's no limit to the statement we can make together.