Patient Account Specialist - Single Business Office
May 12, 2018
PeaceHealth is seeking a Patient Account Specialist - Single Business Office for a 1.0 full time equivalent Non-Exempt position. This position will be working Day shift with shift durations of 8 Hours .
Req ID: 160855
Responsible for working in a call center with patients and/or authorized designees to address payment options, provide insurance setup options and complete related paperwork for both Hospital and Clinic services. Establish and monitor payment arrangements with patients using guidelines established under the collection policy; resolve patient concerns and third party issues to achieve a zero balance account. This position ensures acceptable cash flow and appropriate Days in Accounts Receivable via timely follow-up and resolution of balances owed.
1. Identify uninsured or underinsured patients for eligibility for financial assistance through this organization or through government or private programs.
2. Perform work in accordance with regulatory requirements, policies/procedures and departmental standards in regards to HIPAA and other government requirements. Ensure that proper billing procedures and privacy guidelines are implemented and carried out.
3. Responsible for maintaining daily account, follow-up work lists within department while maintaining organization's productivity standards.
4. Assist patients with the application process for outreach programs and our obligations to maintain certifications as required by the state(s) and/or contractual obligations.
5. Respond to customer inquiries in accordance with state and federal laws or applicable internal policies. This response may include charge estimates, clarifying billing practices, correctness of billing and options for resolving private pay balances.
6. Communicate appropriately with all customers to include, updating insurance, and routing accounts to appropriate service areas when needed. Handle a high volume of inbound and outbound calls. May leverage an auto dialer system.
7. Work directly with responsible party to resolve outstanding patient account activities. Maximize reimbursement through effective collection practices. May receive and post patient payments over the phone, or electronically. Process refund requests as appropriate.
8. Review accounts for activities and completeness of available data as specified and/or outlined by the established financial procedures and processes prior to being assigned to collection.
9. Obtain information to secure appropriate payment of account by working with insurance companies, government agencies, other departments, providers' offices, attorneys' offices, patients and any other parties as necessary.
10. Communicate all necessary requirements needed to support third party and government billing, including workers compensation.
11. Perform data entry, maintain customer databases and document all calls. Assists customers with various patient account-related questions by telephone and through written correspondence. Completes adjustments, account notes, balance transfers, claim disposition and other necessary transaction to facilitate appropriate computer system activity.
12. Completes all necessary research, account assignment, etc. for accounts assigned to collection agency; or necessary court documents for patient bankruptcies and probate.
13. May perform skip tracing on patients with return mail; May perform insurance verification.; May be responsible to monitor and negotiate settlements with third parties
14. Perform other duties as assigned.
College coursework in accounting, business, medical terminology, communication and social work preferred.
Minimum of one year experience in collections, customer service, billing or related medical field preferred.
Familiarity with government, commercial and third-party billing preferred.
Proficient use of computers including MS Office applications
Proficiency with 10-key calculators alphanumeric data entry skills are required
Working knowledge of standard office equipment
Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
Ability to work both independently and interdependently with staff and team members with limited supervision
Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills
Excellent customer service skills are required
Please apply online to be considered. For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application.
PeaceHealth, based in Vancouver, Wash., is a not-for-profit Catholic health system offering care to communities in Washington, Oregon, and Alaska. PeaceHealth has approximately 16,000 caregivers, a multi-specialty medical group practice with more than 900 providers and 10 medical centers serving both urban and rural communities throughout the Northwest. In 1890, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace founded what has become PeaceHealth. Today, PeaceHealth is the legacy of its founding Sisters and continues with a spirit of respect, stewardship, collaboration and social justice in fulfilling its Mission.
We offer competitive compensation, a robust benefits package and a collaborative, Mission-driven work environment! To learn more about working at PeaceHealth and the Vancouver community please visit our homepage: www.peacehealth.org/careers .
Location: Vancouver , Shared Services Center (802) Job Category: Business, Administrative & Facilities Shift: Day Shift Length: 8 Hours FTE: 1.0 Work Type: Full Time Hourly compensation starts at: $ 16.59 , more depending on experience Required Certifications/Licensure:
PeaceHealth is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified job applicants and employees without regard to the following statuses: protected veteran; qualified individual with a disability; race; ethnicity; religion; gender; pregnancy; gender identity; national origin; age; genetic information; sexual orientation; or any other protected status in accordance with local, state, or federal laws.
The above information is intended to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of caregivers assigned to this job.
Posting Notes: Vancouver || Business, Administrative & Facilities || Billing/Coding || Full Time || PATIENT ACCOUNTING
Internal Number: 160855
PeaceHealth Physicians are as diverse as the communities they serve, but have the following in common:Dedication to carrying on the healing mission of Jesus Christ by promoting personal and community health, relieving pain and suffering and treating each person in a loving and caring way.A shared vision of every patient receiving exceptional, compassionate evidence-based care, every time, every touch.