The Town Clerk provides administrative and clerical aide to the Town Council and leads a staff of two (2) full-time employees. A key attribute of this position is to work diligently to keep the Town Manager, Town Attorneys and most importantly, the Town Council members well informed.
The Town Clerk will prepare, defend and monitor the budget of the Office of the Town Clerk and the Town Council, working closely with the Council in the preparation of the budget documents.
The Town Clerk is responsible for the operation and future development of the Granicus agenda management process, oversees preparation of the agenda items and documents, and is responsible for the development and distribution of the agenda.
The Town Clerk works with Town Advisory Committee Liaisons in the preparation and distribution of committee meeting materials and maintains custody of all Town documents, while providing public notices of all public meetings. The Town Clerk posts legal advertising, attends all Town Council meetings and prepares summary action minutes; attests signatures and serves as the Supervisor of all Town elections. The Town Clerk works with staff and attorneys on the codification of all Town ordinances and serves as the Town’s Financial Disclosure Coordinator. The Town Clerk is also responsible for the registration of lobbyists and the administration of lobbyist information and serves as the Town’s official State Record Management Liaison Officer.
The Ideal Candidate:
The next Town Clerk will be an energetic, experienced and results oriented management professional, with the ability to determine if goals and objectives have been met within the Town Clerk’s Office.
The ideal candidate will be a skilled professional able to work effectively in a fast paced, multi-cultural environment, with multiple competing priorities.
The candidate must have municipal experience, including supervisory experience and strong technical and communication skills.
The successful candidate is required to become a member of International Institute of Municipal Clerks (IIMC), the Florida Association of City Clerks and the Miami-Dade County Clerks Association.
• Attends all Town Council meetings and records all motions, votes, and actions. Prepares minutes of each meeting along with summary of action and ensures that necessary follow-up on action items is taken.
• Ability to use technology to create agenda items, agendas, minutes and maintain website pages.
• Provides for public notice of all meetings subject to the Sunshine Law and provides for legal advertising, publication and posting of notices, as necessary.
• Attests all ordinances, resolutions, contracts, and deeds. Administers oaths, accepts affidavits, and maintains municipal deeds, leases, agreements, and other records as required.
• Maintains custody of municipal records, including ordinances, resolutions, and contracts, and promulgates procedures for the orderly management, maintenance, retention, and destruction of said records in accordance with State law. Serves as the State Records Management Liaison Officer.
• Serves as qualifying officer and Supervisor of Elections for all municipal elections. Coordinates with the Miami-Dade County Supervisor of Elections for conduct of municipal elections.
• Administers the publication, maintenance and distribution of the Town Code of Ordinances.
• Maintains records of all committee appointments.
• Maintains custody of Town’s official seal. Affixes seal on official documents as necessary.
• Administers and assists in preparation of the annual budget for the Town Clerk’s Department for review by the Town Manger and Town Council. Monitors expenditures for compliance with approved budget.
• Serves as Financial Disclosure Coordinator for the municipality.
• Provides for response to public records and informational requests received from the public, staff, other agencies and interested parties as provided by State Statutes.
• Designated as records manager for all Federal and State Grant Records subject to audit, and shall bill and record special assessments of the Town as applicable.
• Coordinates postings to the Town’s Official Web Site as appropriate to all Town Departments.
• Supervises and evaluates performance of Town Clerk’s staff. Counsels employees and administers discipline as required.
• Prepares correspondence, proclamations, and resolutions as requested.
• Provides support to the Town Council, including correspondence, mail, telephone calls, e-mails, etc.
• Responsible for lobbyist registration and the administration of lobbyist information.
• Provides notary public services.
• Performs related work as required.
• Associate’s Degree in Business/Public Administration or related field and/or minimum three (3) years of experience as a municipal clerk or deputy municipal clerk.
• Must be eligible for and agree to secure Certified Municipal Clerk (CMC) designation within agreed time frame
• Must be a Florida Notary Public or obtain Notary appointment immediately
• Ability to be a team leader and establish a relationship with Town Officials, associates and the general public
• Knowledge of public relations principals and techniques
• Consideration will be given to a combination of education and experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business/Public Administration or related field
• Master Municipal Clerk (MMC) certification
• Seven (7) or more years of leadership experience in a Municipal Clerk’s Office
• Certification and training in public records law and records retention and municipal election experience
• Knowledge and experience in agenda management software
Additional Salary Information: Competitive salary and benefits depending upon qualifications.
The Town of Cutler Bay’s current benefit package includes:
• Health Insurance (at no cost to employee)
• Car Allowance
• Phone and Data Plan Allowance
• Town Contribution to Florida Retirement System
• Life and Disability Insurance
• Dental and Vision Care
• Paid Holidays
• Vacation and Sick Leave
• And more
Cutler Bay is an incorporated Town in Miami-Dade County, Florida, established in 2005, with a current population of approximately 44,300.
The Town of Cutler Bay is a municipal organization operating under a Council-Manager form of government complete with one (1) Mayor, one (1) Vice Mayor and three (3) District Council Members.