The Staff Attorney position is responsible for serving as a subject area expert for planning, creating, marketing, and maintaining legal content and education in response to legal developments and the needs of the legal community. Must be able to work individually and in teams. Responsible for developing networks of legal experts as volunteer contributors and applying best practices to create educational online and live content. Must be able to conduct in-depth legal research and draft or edit accurate and practical legal resources. Must participate in online communities and social media channels.
50% Plan, develop, and implement new content and educational offerings:
· Based on ICLE’s strategic plan, content plan, and quality standards, develop an extensive set of subject area legal resources. Includes creating, posting, and updating frequent short content pieces in ICLE’s online communities and other social media outlets as assigned
· Conduct in-depth legal research, and draft, and/or edit accurate and practical legal resources as assigned
· Plan and oversee educational materials and events for lawyers and related professionals as assigned. Includes video modules, exercises, and scenarios for self-testing educational content. Develop educational objectives and guide contributors in using instructional design principles to develop the legal content and education.
· Work collaboratively with other ICLE staff attorneys, contributors, and other ICLE staff to plan, develop, and execute interactive education and/or online content that matches customer needs
25% Serve as subject area specialist for the creation and development of legal education content and services:
· Demonstrate expertise and ability to keep current on legal development and practice updates in assigned subject areas
· Cultivate and nurture relationships in assigned subject areas with an extensive network of lawyers, contributors, ICLE customers, online communities and networks, and State Bar Section leaders
· Regularly attend State Bar section and other professional meetings and share information from the meetings with other ICLE staff
· Actively participate in ICLE online communities and other social media groups relevant to assigned subject areas. Promote ICLE’s brand by drafting comments, raising questions, and recommending information as appropriate
· Conduct customer needs assessments in assigned subject areas, including gathering and analyzing feedback via surveys, social media networks, ICLE communities, focus groups, and customer interviews
· Propose new products and services to meet customer needs
· Actively participate in periodic team planning sessions and retreats to propose additions and improvements to ICLE’s content plan
10% Meet defined ICLE business goals and strategic plans:
· Develop and maintain effective recruitment and working relationships with volunteer contributors as well as subject matter experts
· Actively work toward the achievement of recruiting objectives and initiatives that meet ICLE’s goal of greater diversity across volunteer contributors and customers
· Identify primary target audiences for content and develop effective marketing messages
· Meet marketing, customer and contributor satisfaction, and revenue goals for assigned projects and content
10% Actively participate in ICLE teams and project groups:
· Be an active and engaged participant in ICLE teams and project groups to achieve process improvements and implement initiatives within ICLE’s strategic plan
5% Other duties as assigned. Ensure compliance with affirmative action and safety programs.
· Juris Doctorate degree; graduated in top third of law school class
· Membership in the Michigan State Bar Association (licensed to practice law)
· 3-5 years of law practice experience or an equivalent combination of law or business experience
· Demonstrated ability to build positive working relationships with customers, contributors, and co-workers
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
· Excellent research and writing skills
· Ability to organize legal material
· Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects
· Skilled in networking and the use of social media accounts
· Ability to solve problems and propose solutions
· Proficiency in use of spreadsheets and word processing software
· Able to travel to seminar and meeting locations in Michigan. Some evening and weekend meetings
· Demonstrated ability to apply best practices for instructional design to educational materials
· Past teaching experience a plus
· Project management or related experience preferred
· Working in seated position in front of a computer in focused concentration for several hours at a time.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
A great university is made so by its faculty and staff, and Michigan is recognized as one of the best universities to work for in the country. The Michigan culture is known for engaging faculty and staff in all facets of the university to create a workplace that is vibrant and stimulating.For two consecutive years, the Chronicle of Higher Education has placed U-M in its "Great Colleges to Work For..." survey. In particular, the university earns high marks for strong relations between faculty and administrators, a collaborative system of governance, strong pay and benefits, and a healthy work/life balance.