Under administrative direction of the City Attorney, provides full operating and skilled professional legal services and counsel for the City requiring the application of the majority of standard legal techniques to accomplish day-to-day duties; conducts legal research, prepares or reviews legal documents, prepares written opinions on a wide variety of issues, may prosecute cases in Mayor's Court and Municipal Court, and represents the City in court on routine and more complex matters.
Examples of Duties:
1. Serves as civil litigation counsel for the City; analyzes legal questions, prepares and gathers evidence, directs others in the preparation of evidence, prepares legal documents, makes court appearances, represents the City in hearings, trials, and appeals; informs and advises City Council on status and settlements.
2. Provides legal advice and assistance to all City departments, boards, commissions, and officials on day-to-day operations of the City; conducts legal research, analysis and prepares reports/briefs on legal issues affecting the City.
3. Prepares legal opinions, research papers, contracts, and other legal documents; reviews and/or writes contracts for the City; negotiates terms with vendors and contractors; drafts revised or new legislation for review based on changes in the law; drafts proposed legislation for compliance with state and federal law.
4. Prosecutes cases in Mayor's Court and Municipal Court; appears on the City's behalf in court at all stages including trials and appeals; advises police as to legal questions regarding enforcement of criminal and traffic laws; advises Clerk of Court as to legal questions covering the handling of criminal and traffic cases.
5. Serves as legal counsel for the City in all civil service employment issues; attends hearings and litigates cases before Commission.
6. Attends City Council meetings and answers questions or presents legislation; observes that meetings comply with all applicable laws; provides guidance as to Open Meetings questions and public record requests.
7. Maintains licenses and certifications as required, if any.
8. Demonstrates regular and predictable attendance.
9. Meets all job safety requirements and all applicable OSHA safety standards that pertain to essential functions.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
10. Performs other related duties as assigned. (5%)
The City of Upper Arlington is a first-ring, primarily residential suburb of Columbus, Ohio. Founded in 1918, and just under 10 square miles in size, Upper Arlington is called home by more than 33,000 residents, with multiple generations of the same family to be found in close proximity to each other. They value its strong sense of tradition and community, excellent school system, beautiful neighb...orhoods with mature street trees and the many exceptional safety and City services that are provided. Over the decades, the community has often been a leader in setting the standard for quality of life expectations. The City boasts an extensive and well-used network of community parks with a rich variety of active and passive recreational opportunities. Community gatherings and celebrations are the standard, not the exception here, including a resident-driven Fourth of July parade and festival, the region’s premier one-day arts festival over Labor Day Weekend, summer concerts and more. It's no wonder that Family Circle Magazine rated Upper Arlington as one of the nation's Top 10 Best Towns For Families. We're pretty smart too--www.nerdwallet.com ranked Upper Arlington as the 8th most educated place in America. Interested in a position with the City of Upper Arlington? Visit: www.uaoh.net/careers