The Law Department, comprised of approximately 65 attorneys, provides legal services to the company and manages outside counsel. Most of the company’s routine securities and corporate governance activities are handled by the Law Department.
Serve as the Managing Counsel for the in-house corporate and finance legal team. Ensure effective leadership of the team with respect to financial disclosure, corporate governance and other matters arising under applicable State and Federal requirements, including securities laws.
This position will report to Vice President, Deputy General Counsel.
• Lead and build an experienced team to reach fullest potential and highest performance.
• Provide oversight for issues related to significant corporate and financial matters.
• Possess deep expertise in corporate disclosure, state and federal securities laws
• Provide advice and counsel to senior management and to finance department project and corporate governance teams in connection with securities-related matters, including financial disclosure and corporate governance.
• Manage and supervise outside counsel engaged for securities and corporate governance matters.
• Provide counsel on additional matters as needed and collaborate with colleagues to reach the best solutions on critical matters affecting the enterprise.
• Drive continuous improvement and efficiency.
• Responsibilities include handling matters personally.
PG&E expects its leaders to conduct themselves with the highest ethics and integrity and to embody specific leadership qualities.
• Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
• Operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
Demonstrates Safety Leadership
• A safety champion in words and deeds with respect to both employee and public safety.
• Maintaining an environment of open dialog and free of retaliation. Influences and Inspires
• Using various- communications that convey a clear understanding of the needs of different audiences.
• Maneuvering comfortably through complex policy, process, and people-related dynamics.
Optimizes Team Performance
• Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
• Creating a climate where people are developed and motivated to do their best to help the organization.
Values Diversity and Creates Inclusion
• Recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
• Interpreting and applying understanding of key financial indicators to make better business decisions.
• Planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
Leads Ethically and in a Compliant Manner
• Sponsoring and sustaining a high integrity speak-up corporate culture which prioritizes ethics, safety and compliance.
• Building on necessary level of industry, company and subject-matter expertise, including laws and regulations.
Provides a High Level of Customer Service
• Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
• The position requires broad securities and corporate governance legal experience.
• Bachelor’s degree and J.D. from an accredited law school with top academic credentials.
• Licensed to practice law in California or able to register as In-House Counsel.
• At least 15 years of experience in business sectors subject to significant regulatory oversight, scrutiny, and investigation (e.g., utilities, pharmaceuticals, and banking).
• Experience with leading skilled attorneys responsible for a broad range of corporate and financial matters, including developing registration statements and other annual and SEC periodic reports, providing securities advice in connection with activities to raise capital and providing advice to senior management with respect to corporate governance practices and policies.
• Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
• Experience working with C-Suite.
• Ability to provide a high level of client service and build consensus.
• Business acumen and excellent commercial judgment.
• Present with clear credibility and leadership capabilities; unquestionable integrity with personal and professional presence.
• Evidence of the ability to influence across lines of authority.
• Obvious attention to detail; one who leaves “no stone unturned” and expects the highest quality from members of their team.
• A “bridge builder” who can forge relationships and work effectively across a variety of levels within the organization.
Additional Salary Information: Competitive salary and full benefits package.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E), a public utility operating in Northern and Central California, is the primary operating subsidiary of PG&E Corporation, a Fortune 200 energy-based holding company (NYSE: PCG).
Based in San Francisco, Pacific Gas and Electric Company, one of the largest combined natural gas and electric utilities in the United States with operations that span power genera...tion and procurement; electric transmission and distribution; and natural gas transmission, distribution and storage. The company’s 24,000 employees deliver safe, reliable, affordable and clean energy to nearly 16 million people throughout its Northern and Central California service area stretching from Eureka in the north to Bakersfield in the south, and from the Pacific Ocean to the Sierra Nevada in the east.
As a California utility, Pacific Gas and Electric Company is at the forefront of changes in the utility industry to support the transition to a cleaner energy economy. The company is ranked among the nation’s cleanest utilities and is one of the industry’s largest investors in infrastructure modernization and technology to support the addition of more renewable resources, strengthen safety and reliability, and build a smarter, more resilient grid to meet customers’ evolving energy-related needs. Thirty percent of the energy PG&E delivered in 2015 came from state-qualified renewable resources, and approximately 60 percent comes from sources that emit no greenhouse gases. The company is also a leading voice shaping clean energy policies at the state and national levels.
PG&E is an integral contributor to California’s economy, supporting jobs, stimulating economic growth and contributing to the tax base in hundreds of communities from Bakersfield to Eureka. In total, the company’s operations support an estimated 70,000-plus jobs and generate more than $22 billion in annual economic output in California. Pacific Gas and Electric Company had approximately $63 billion in assets as of December 31, 2015, and generated revenues of approximately $17 billion in 2015.
Since a highly publicized and very unfortunate explosion that occurred in San Bruno, California along one of PG&E’s natural gas pipelines in 2010, the company has taken full responsibility, making reparations, accepting penalties and fines. PG&E has redoubled its commitment to create and maintain a business culture centered on employee and public safety, integrity, ethics and compliance. Additionally, PG&E has made significant investment in its gas system and integrity management, resulting in certification and recertification by Lloyd’s Register on two of the highest internationally recognized safety certifications (ISO 55001 and PAS 55).
To affirm its commitments to ethics and compliance, PG&E Corporation has a senior-level officer over ethics and compliance reporting directly to both the CEO and the Audit Committee of the Board.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity Employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability status, medical condition, protected veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the job.