The Chief Compliance Officer (CCO) provides University-wide oversight and coordination of an institutional compliance program that promotes the highest standards of ethics, integrity, and responsibility within the University of South Alabama academic and healthcare systems. The CCO will be charged with articulating the elements of the University's compliance program and establishing standards for implementation across compliance functions and activities.
The CCO monitors and facilitates University compliance with federal and state laws, regulatory and governing standards for institutions of higher education and healthcare regulatory and governing standards, including laws, regulations, statutes, codes, policies, procedures, rules, directives, and compliance with the University's own policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Develops, establishes, and maintains an effective and broad-based compliance program designed to monitor, detect, and prevent areas of non-compliance and recommends corrective action when necessary to fully meet compliance regulations. This includes written policies, procedures and standards of conduct as well as a system of education and training to proactively promote full compliance with all aspects of the University's academic and healthcare activities.
• Oversees and manages all operations of the compliance program. Coordinates all compliance related activity among senior University administrators and among all University colleges, schools, departments, programs, and the healthcare system, including both hospitals, the USA Mitchell Cancer Institute (both research and clinical activities), and all clinics. Maintains and develops effective relationships and communications as appropriate with outside agencies and institutions for which the University has compliance responsibilities and requirements.
• Leads University efforts to identify and prioritize potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk. Develops/implements corrective actions plans for risk reduction mitigation. Ensures that all units have appropriate policies and procedures in place to ensure effective compliance with applicable state and federal laws and regulations.
• Develops/implements an effective compliance monitoring program in order to monitor the University's compliance with applicable state and federal laws and regulations, and University policies and procedures. Directs/leads all University compliance program awareness, education, and training programs.
• Investigates all issues or violations of substance that are reported or which arise through other proactive compliance checks, internal or external audits, or other means. Develops a system for uniform handling of such violations.
• Recommends corrective actions to include changes in policy and/or procedures when deficiencies are discovered and confirmed. Ensures proper reporting of violations or potential violations to authorized individuals, agencies, or units as appropriate and/or required.
• Collaborates with other departments (Risk Management, Internal Audit, Human Resources, etc.) to direct compliance issues to appropriate existing channels for investigation and resolution. Consults with University Attorney regularly, and as needed to resolve legal compliance issues.
• Develops annual work plan and reports regularly to the Board of Trustees concerning compliance issues.
Master's degree in a related field from an accredited institution as approved and accepted by the University of South Alabama and five years of related professional compliance experience. Familiarity with higher education and/or healthcare regulatory and compliance matters is required. Experience in the higher education and/or health care sector is highly preferred.
Other Preferred Qualifications:
A J.D. or other advanced degree in a related field
Specialized training/experience in human subject's research, HIPAA, clinical trials, billing compliance, responsible conduct of research, regulatory affairs, lab safety and biosafety, environmental and safety compliance, FERPA, Title IV, Title VI, Title VII, and Title IX
Current compliance related certification
Experience in clinical research billing compliance
The University of South Alabama is one of the fastest growing universities in the South, providing quality academic programs, innovative classroom experiences, and a campus rich in diversity and student life.