IFF improves the world by strengthening nonprofits and the communities they serve. As a mission-driven lender, real estate consultant, and developer, IFF helps communities thrive by creating opportunities for low-income communities and persons with disabilities. Key to our success has been a deep sense of purpose, a broad perspective, and a relentless focus on achieving positive results. Across the Midwest, we help clients from every sector, including human service agencies, health centers, schools, affordable housing developers, and grocery stores. Staff contributes its extensive business experience with an unrivaled connection to the mission of IFF and the nonprofit clients it serves.
IFF is looking for candidates with a commitment to the work it does and can demonstrate their creativity, detail-orientation, diligence, efficiency, enthusiasm, flexibility, organization, thoughtfulness, and sense of humor.
Our staff of nearly 100 professionals works from our Chicago headquarters, and we also serve the Midwest from six regional offices: Indianapolis, IN; Detroit, MI; Kansas City, MO; St. Louis, MO; Columbus, OH; and Milwaukee, WI.
Basic Job Function
The Associate Legal Counsel will be the primary legal counsel for IFF’s commercial real estate lending program. The Associate will be responsible for drafting and negotiating agreements for our loans and will work with IFF staff throughout all steps of the process from approval to closing and, if necessary, post-closing matters (including workouts). This is an ideal position for an experienced, detail-oriented attorney who is looking for better work-life balance as well more rewarding work.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Draft all agreements and ancillary documents in connection with our loans,including commitment letters, loan agreements, mortgages, guaranty agreements, intercreditor agreements, subordination agreements and participation agreements.
2. Review title commitments, surveys, leases and other real estate related documents to ensure that there are no unacceptable exceptions and all necessary endorsements are obtained.
3. Work directly with IFF’s Managing Director of Credit and Policy to ensure that the loan documents are in full compliance with the approved terms.
4. Negotiate directly with borrowers’ counsel and finalize loan documents.
5. Work directly with IFF’s Closing Team to ensure all legal requirements are satisfied prior to each loan closing and funding.
6. Post-closing, assemble closing packages of all agreements and deliverables related to each loan.
7. Advise IFF’s Portfolio Management Team on any post-closing/workout matters that may arise, and draft any necessary documents, including amendments, forbearance agreements, reservation of rights letters and notices of default.
8. Assist the Chief Legal Counsel with other organizational matters as they arise.
9. Other duties as may be assigned.
1. High quality and accurate work product.
2. Timely completion of all work.
3. Responsiveness to IFF staff and clients.
4. Driving excellent and client friendly loan closings.
5. Finding solutions to issues relating to loan structure, collateral, documentation, and closing.
6. Efficient use of time and ability to manage multiple projects.
7. Cultivates a culture of openness in information sharing. Encourages open communication, cooperation, and the sharing of knowledge.
8. Models personal accountability that promotes ownership and engagement.
9. Builds and maintains effective working relationships with colleagues.
10. Values and supports differences in others, contributing to an inclusive work environment. Demonstrates the ability and willingness to communicate effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and experiences to create a collaborative, collegial, and caring community.
11. High level of satisfaction with both internal colleagues and external contacts.
Special Knowledge & Skills:
1. Practiced in lending law, real estate law, and closing real estate financing transactions.
2. Proficient in general contract drafting.
3. Customer service oriented.
4. Experience with construction law is a plus.
5. Experience with tax credit financing (NMTC, LIHTC and HTC) is a plus.
6. Experience with real estate development is a plus.
7. Experience with non-profit law is a plus.
8. Extremely detail orientated.
9. Exceptional communication skills – written and verbal.
10. Highly professional and approachable demeanor with strong business ethics and standards.
11. Ability to think creatively about problems with a solutions based approach.
Position Qualifications: Education: JD from an accredited law school Required
2-5 years of experience at a mid to large size law firm. Drafting and negotiating legal agreements for commercial real estate lending transactions,with a track record of growth and increasing responsibility.
Unusual Requirements: Occasional evening and weekend work; possible travel throughout the assigned region.
Application Instructions: Applicant must submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include "Associate Legal Counsel" in the subject of the email.
Internal Number: 3126290060
IFF is a mission-driven lender, real estate consultant, and developer that helps communities thrive by creating opportunities for low-income communities and people with disabilities. Key to our success has been a deep sense of purpose, a broad perspective, and a relentless focus on achieving positive results. Social return can coincide with financial return.
Across the Midwest, we help clients from every sector, including human service agencies, health centers, schools, housing developers, and grocery stores. Our staff of over 70 professionals works from our Chicago headquarters, and we also serve the Midwest from four regional offices: Milwaukee, Wisconsin; St. Louis, Missouri; Indianapolis, Indiana; and Detroit, Michigan. We are a U.S. Department of the Treasury certified community development financial institution (CDFI), a member of the Federal Home Loan Bank of Chicago and the Opportunity Finance Network, and a past recipient of the $5.5 million Wells Fargo NEXT award for Opportunity Finance.
IFF is the largest nonprofit CDFI in the Midwest and one of only a few nationally to earn the Aeris AAA+1 rating. Since 1988, we have made over $450 million in loans, leveraged $1.4... billion in community investments, and grown our total managed assets to $300 million.
IFF values equity, diversity and inclusion as part of its mission to strengthen nonprofits and the communities they serve. IFF is an equal opportunity employer.