|Vertex is a leading biotechnology company that creates new possibilities in medicine to cure diseases and improve people’s lives. We currently have three transformative drugs on the market that treat the underlying cause of cystic fibrosis; these drugs represent a revolution in the way cystic fibrosis is treated. We have also developed a deep pipeline, investing billions of dollars into R&D over the past two decades – including more than 70% of our revenues over the past five years – because we are going all in for cures to serious diseases. |
Who Are We Looking For?
We are seeking a seasoned privacy attorney to join our team in the whip-smart and highly respected Legal and Compliance Department at the company’s world headquarters in Boston, MA. The Department is committed to a trusting and collaborative culture where we value growth and development. We engage proactively with our business colleagues to truly understand them and to deliver results for our company and for patients. If you thrive in a fast-paced, hands-on, and team-oriented environment where you can have a big impact on the organization, we’d love to talk to you!
The individual in this position will provide strategic and solutions-oriented legal advice to a broad spectrum of internal clients, including senior leadership, on worldwide regulatory issues related to the processing of personal data, including but not limited to the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), Section 5 of the FTC Act, CAN-SPAM, PIPEDA and the EU ePrivacy, and Retention Directives. This role will also have responsibility for advising our legal colleagues on issues and considerations relating to data protection and security
This position will report to the Head Privacy Counsel.
• Performing regular privacy assessments of new and existing business processes, providing practical and timely advice to internal clients to design business processes in compliance with applicable data protection requirements, while addressing legal risks and protecting the company’s integrity and reputation.
• Reviewing data inventories and data protection impact assessments for certain high risk business processes and working with the business, as well as the global data protection officer, to mitigate any residual risks.
• Drafting privacy notices and consents for business processes across the organization, and maintaining the organization’s global privacy notice on company websites
• Developing and reviewing content for privacy training materials and other communications to increase employee understanding of company privacy policies, data handling practices and procedures and legal obligations, as well as to ensure awareness of “best practices” on privacy and data security issues
• Working with colleagues in IT to further develop and refine security practices, mature company procedures and questionnaires for vetting and auditing vendors for privacy and data security related requirements, and review system-related information security plans.
• Acting as subject matter expert and internal escalation point for data protection issues in contracting, including data processing agreements, research collaborations, and transactional agreements; continue to develop template materials for contracting and advise/train members of the legal department on handling privacy-related language in contracts.
• Evaluating and responding to data subjects requests (e.g., request for information, clarifications, rectification or deletion of personal data) and reports of potential data incidents.
• Keeping abreast of privacy developments affecting clients (e.g., evolving guidance out of the European Union, California Privacy Act, discussions of US privacy laws, CAN-SPAM and e-privacy developments) and anticipating potential changes needed to global privacy program to meet new regulatory requirements.
• Participating in various Legal & Compliance Department projects and initiatives (e.g., Culture Committee, Pro Bono & Community Engagement Committee, Talent & Development Committee, Diversity Committee, offsite planning, strategic planning).