This is a non-merit position with the Iowa Department of Revenue.
Thank you for considering a career with the Iowa Department of Revenue. The Department has the opportunity to interact with nearly every Iowan at some point during his or her lifetime. To do our job, we must effectively communicate and focus on our customers.
Our strength is driven by the skills, talents, and diversity of our people. We value and promote diversity and inclusion in every aspect of our business and at every level of our organization. If you’re looking for a career with an organization that values its employees and customers, you’ve come to the right place.
The Department of Revenue is looking for an Executive Officer 5 to serve as the Policy Director for Individual Income Tax as part of the Research and Policy Division. This position will work with senior management within the Department to set goals and develop plans for the ideal administration of the individual income tax program. Duties include, but are not limited to:
Work with the Legal Services Bureau to analyze the technical aspects and practical application of proposed legislation and provide feedback to the Tax Research and Program Analysis Bureau regarding administrative concerns and potential revenue impacts.
Consult across divisions regarding related individual income tax compliance programs, audit standards, and issues leading to appeals and protests.
Oversee development of Department website content, guidance documents, tax credit forms, and other public communications related to the tax area.
Work across divisions to draft and direct the development of informal written and oral technical guidance and information to taxpayers, tax professionals, and Department staff. Provide input to the Director on the substance of declaratory orders.
Provide subject matter expertise through outreach and education for policymakers, stakeholders, other agencies, and taxpayers.
Monitor and research federal, state, and local tax legislation and court rulings to promote proactive administration of Iowa tax issues, and keep the Director, Department staff, other agencies, and policymakers informed about changes.
Work with the Legal Services Bureau to analyze tax statutes and make recommendations to the Director to clarify laws and correct technical errors in existing statutes to reduce the burden of compliance and administration of state tax laws.
Oversee the development and review of administrative rules related to individual income tax and work with Legal Services Bureau to draft proposed amendments and new rules as needed.
Represent the Department on multi-state committees in the subject matter area. Make presentations at state, local, and national events.
Must pass a criminal background check, FBI fingerprinting, and be in compliance with Iowa tax filing requirements and willing to participate in the E-verify process.
Applications must be received by 6/13/2019 11:59 PM Central.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Applicants must meet at least one of the following minimum requirements to qualify for positions in this job classification:
1) Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in any field, and experience equal to seven years of full-time professional-level work in program administration, program development, program research/evaluation, or management.
2) A total of eleven years of education and/or full-time experience (as described in number one), where thirty semester hours of accredited college or university course work in any field equals one year of full-time experience.
3) All of the following (a, b, and c): a. Five years of full-time professional-level work experience in program administration, program development, program research/evaluation, or management; and b. A total of four years of education and full-time experience (as described in part a), where thirty semester hours of accredited college or university course work in any field equals one year of full-time experience; and c. A total of two years of graduate-level education and full-time experience (as described in part a), where twenty-four semester hours of accredited graduate college or university course work in a public-service-related area (e.g., public or business administration, social work, public health, law, education, engineering) equals one year of full-time experience. Graduation from the Iowa Certified Public Manager Program is also equivalent to one year of full-time experience or education.
4) Current, continuous experience in the state executive branch that includes eighteen months of full-time work as an Executive Officer 3 or thirty months of full-time work as an Executive Officer 2 or comparable specific management-level position.
Preference will be given to candidates with one of the following:
1. Certification as a public accountant with at least three years of full-time income tax experience; or
2. Bachelor's degree with a minimum of 24 semester hours of tax, accounting, law, business, or other related courses and at least eight years of experience in one or more of the following: (a) a state or federal tax agency's general counsel's office, policy department, or department with similar duties and knowledge as noted above or (b) the tax or business department of an accounting firm or corporation; or
3. A juris doctorate degree and at least three years of full-time income tax experience.
If you have interest in any of the other Policy vacancies, you must submit a separate application for each position you are interested in to be considered.
Internal Number: 19-02829
About Iowa Department of Revenue
The Iowa Department of Revenue has the opportunity to interact with nearly every Iowan at some point during his or her lifetime. The Department is the financial engine of the state, responsible for collecting the vast majority of Iowa’s appropriable revenues. We deal with complex tax laws, and we craft regulations in support of those laws. We effectively communicate with our constituencies, in large part by finding ways to make the complex simple and more efficient along the way.
The mission of the Iowa Department of Revenue is to serve Iowans and support state government by collecting all taxes required by law, but no more.
It is the Department's vision that Iowa be a state where it is easy to understand and comply with tax obligations.
Iowa will be a state where it is easy to understand and comply with tax obligations.
Thank you for this opportunity to serve you.