The Senior Vice President, Business and Legal Affairs for Nickelodeon will be responsible for business and legal affairs for scripted content (live action) and talent deals (live action and animation) for Nickelodeon and will handle other areas. This position will be located in Los Angeles.
The candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Serve as a senior member of the BALA team of business and legal affairs lawyers, contract managers and assistants who support the Nickelodeon live action scripted development and production group and talent group.
- Provide high level, strategic business and legal affairs guidance and support to the senior Nickelodeon development and production team.
- Structure, negotiate and draft a high volume of complex, high-profile creator/EP deals, first-look and overall deals, pilot/series talent deals, and development and production services deals.
- Work with a broad range of departments (Nickelodeon talent department, Labor & Employment/Production Risk Team, Production Management and Litigation) to implement production legal policies and procedures.
- Opportunity to work across VMN business and legal affairs on cross-brand specialty areas.
- Advise various departments for the network (Programming, Production, Marketing and Promotion, Rights Management, etc.) in connection with complex business and legal matters.
- Develop and create deal structures, parameters and templates and forms.
- Maintain relationships with key managers, agencies and attorneys in the entertainment community.
- JD and must be a member of the California Bar.
- Minimum of 15 years of relevant experience.
- Experience with scripted television.
- Excellent knowledge of television industry agreements, guild and union regulations (SAG-AFTRA, Animation Guild, Local 839 I.A.T.S.E, WGA, DGA).
- Comprehensive knowledge of contract law and intellectual property rights, as well as a mastered capability for legal analysis and reasoning, is required.
- Desired candidate will have a thorough understanding of entertainment industry customs and practices and possess demonstrated ability to effectively negotiate and interact with agents, managers and outside attorneys.
- Must be able to manage a team, multi-task under pressure, manage a varied, high-volume workload efficiently and smoothly and operate autonomously within corporate parameters.
- Ability to build strong internal client relationships, effectively advise senior-level executives under conditions of uncertainty, high-pressure and/or high-risk and generate strong client satisfaction through quick turnaround and firm decision-making.
- The ideal candidate will be collaborative, positive and team-oriented.
- Excellent drafting, negotiation, communication (written and verbal), interpersonal, organizational and computer skills.
Internal Number: 2019-12662
Viacom is home to premier global media brands that create compelling entertainment content - including television programs, motion pictures, short-form content, games, consumer products, podcasts, live events and social media experiences - for audiences in more than 180 countries on various platforms and devices.Globally, Viacom Media Networks reach approximately 4.3 billion cumulative television subscribers through leading brands including Nickelodeon, MTV, BET, Comedy Central, Paramount Network (SPIKE), VH1, TV Land, CMT and Logo. Program services created specifically for international audiences include Channel 5 (U.K.), Telefe (Argentina), Colors (India) and Paramount Channel.