Manage/assist in managing all aspects of the firm’s professional development efforts including but not limited to:
· Continuously develop firm-wide professional/core skills curriculum using partners & external consultants for programming in communications, writing, negotiation, and financial (accounting) skills
· Develop, enhance, and manage major milestone training programs for 1st, 3rd and 5th year associates in substantive and skills-based training as well as practical sessions for new and transitioning associates
· Supervise Training Coordinator and CLE tracking process (Micron/CE Manager)
· Oversee firm-wide Training & Education Budget
· Conduct periodic training needs assessments, analyzing input from associates and partners
· Collaborate with Professional Development colleagues in Europe, Asia, California and Washington, D.C., respond to training issues as necessary, accommodating needs of UK and HK lawyers and adjusting training in NY where appropriate/necessary
· Review Associate/Counsel performance appraisal for all global offices to identify training needs
· Conduct periodic needs assessments, and design and implement annual half-day training/networking program for U.S. counsel
· Identify the most effective educators on issues relating to effective management, team building and working across difference and ensure that the firm’s commitment to diversity and inclusion is apparent in all training efforts
· Liaise with Diversity and Women’s Initiative Committees and affinity group steering committee co-chairs to identify opportunities to collaborate with affinity group members and clients on professional skills programs, substantive training, and D&I training programs
· Develop small-group voluntary communication skills programs for women associates
· Conduct check-in meetings with all new corporate associates after arrival, ensuring proper on-boarding and integration
· Respond to ad-hoc associate counseling requests on topics such as: work assignments, giving/receiving feedback, department/practice group moves, and miscellaneous professional development issues
· Develop relationships with associates in groups which do not have a PD staffing manager to ensure that all lawyers are aware of and take full advantage of firm resources
· Provide back-up staffing assistance for junior associates in the larger corporate practice groups (Capital Markets, Credit, M&A, Financial Institutions)
· Work with Practice Group heads, staffing coordinators and Professional Development department to identify potential secondees
Corporate Department Rotations
· Assist with corporate department practice group assigning/placement for firm’s rotation system
Excellent communication skills, both written and oral. Strong project management skills; ability to take complete ownership of designing and executing firm-wide programs and ability to focus on long and short-term professional development initiatives. Skilled at negotiating among strong personalities while being respectful and supportive of Davis Polk’s collegial, collaborative environment. Experienced with Excel and comfortable creating and presenting PowerPoint and other presentations upon request. Must have excellent leadership skills and be able to inspire confidence among associates and firm leaders across the firm. Must have a willingness and ability to negotiate with multiple constituencies of partners and associates to reach optimal outcomes regarding complex staffing issues. Must be able to supervise, motivate and guide junior members of our PD team effectively. Availability during normal office hours is essential and responsiveness to email after hours and on weekends is expected. Ability to maintain confidentiality of personnel and other sensitive matters is critical.
JD preferred; coaching certification a plus. Experience with collaborating with partners in a large law firm setting expected. Knowledge of CLE rules in New York helpful.
About Davis Polk & Wardwell, LLP
Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP (including its associated entities) is an elite global law firm with world-class practices across the board. Clients know they can rely on Davis Polk for their most challenging legal and business matters. Our approximately 1,000 lawyers located in 10 offices in the world’s key financial centers and political capitals collaborate seamlessly to deliver exceptional service, sophisticated advice and creative, practical solutions. Visit davispolk.com.