The candidate will be an attorney with broad experience in all areas of trusts, estates and transfer taxes. This candidate will be responsible for: Reviewing will and trust agreements where the bank is named in a fiduciary capacity in order to protect the bank, comply with the law, and satisfy client expectations; Analyzing complex proposals to communicate legal risk to partners and clients; Providing legal counsel to management and business partners in our Wealth Management business on a broad range of trust and fiduciary matters, including fiduciary litigation, review of trust documents, estate settlement matters and complex trust/fiduciary legal issues. The position is in the Trust Counsel Practice Group and reports to the Trust Counsel who is a Deputy General Counsel.
Knowledge of trust and asset services, and estate, gift and generation-skipping transfer tax rules, usually acquired through extensive related work experience, is required to advise on legal risks and compliance issues. Analytical skills are required to negotiate review will, trust and other fiduciary documents and related agreements. J.D. license is required to interpret legal documents and analyze transactions.
1. Responsible for reviewing will and trust agreements where the bank is named in a fiduciary capacity in order protect the bank, comply with the law, and satisfy client expectations.
2. Analyze complex proposals assessing and communicating legal risk and identifying options and solutions.
3. Give legal advice to internal partners in our Wealth Management business on on-going trust, estate and guardianship administration.
4. Work with outside counsel and internal litigation counsel on fiduciary litigation.
5. Promote the bank by speaking at industry and client conferences. Participates in various task forces and committees to advise on legal risks and compliance issues.
6. Advise management on corporate legal rights, obligations, and privileges relating to trust products and services.
7. Examine legal documents to determine advisability of defending or prosecuting lawsuits.
8. Review documents to ensure that the bank is in compliance with legal guidelines and regulations.
9. Communicate with partners and clients on compliance issues. Updates and maintains related procedures.
Candidates should have at least 10 years of experience working in a major law firm or in-house practice in relevant areas. The candidate must be admitted to practice law in Illinois
The candidate must be able to handle a wide range of trust and fiduciary matters and be able to work cooperatively with all levels of management;
Able to exercise high quality legal analysis and practical judgment and able to spot issues and develop appropriate solutions;
Ability to be responsive within short deadlines;
Very good communication skills;
Able to demonstrate good teamwork both within the Legal group and with business partners;
Able to develop good relationships with outside counsel;
Good drafting and negotiation skills;
Although not required for the position, knowledge and experience of non-U.S. international trust and fiduciary matters, estate tax and other relevant experience is a plus.
Experience in advising on trust and fiduciary matters is essential. Participation in bar association or industry committees and speaking at client functions is a plus.
About Northern Trust: Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the worlds most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
Working with Us: As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why Forbes ranked us the top employer for Diversity in 2018.
Wed love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the worlds most admired and ethical companies. Build your career with us and apply today
Internal Number: 6568209
About Northern Trust
eFinancialCareers is a career site specializing in financial services.