The Revenue Manager for Compliance is responsible for planning, organizing, and supervising the Tax Compliance Unit in the Revenue Administration Division of the Finance Department. Under the direction of the Chief of Revenue Administration, this position functions as one of three assistant managers of the Revenue Administration Division. Together with the Chief, the Revenue Manager is responsible for the overall direction and management of the Unit administration and operations, including leading and supervising the Unit’s personnel and ensure compliance with Virginia Code, Albemarle County Code, and other state and local regulatory agencies’ requirements. Essential functions include, and are not limited to the following:
Provides advanced interpretation of, oversight of, and compliance with ACVA and Virginia Taxation laws, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures;
Ensures protection of highly confidential taxpayer information in accordance with the Virginia Secrecy Act and administrative regulations of DMV, Virginia Taxation, VEC, SCC, and VITA;
Responds to property owner, taxpayer, customer, employee and management questions and requests for assistance, as well as explains complex tax code and regulations in a customer-friendly manner;
Investigates taxpayer complaints and answers taxpayers’ challenges to assessments or delinquencies;
Supervises assessments of various local taxes (other than real estate) and preparation of related daily, monthly, quarterly, and annual reports;
Plans, coordinates, communicates, and enforces the collection of all local delinquent taxes, issuance of criminal warrants, and provide oversight of judicial sale of delinquent real estate accounts;
Performs personnel functions including making recommendations for hiring, transfers, promotions and terminations of support staff;
Plan work schedules, supervise, counsel, manage, develop, mentor, and evaluate temporary, intern, and permanent support staff within the Division including completing and delivering performance and merit reviews;
Develops and provides training for Unit as well as division staff;
Manages the Tax Compliance program, including developing objectives, schedules, workplans, resource allocation and scope of program;
Supervises the preparation and auditing of personal property, State income tax returns, tax rolls, tax bills and other State and County taxes;
Promotes tax compliance through the initiation of taxpayers’ education, audits, field inspections, interviews, and extensive research and analysis of taxpayers’ operations to ensure proper application and enforcement of County tax ordinances;
Assist in hearing appeals and requests for relief from assessments (exonerations) as well as assisting individuals and businesses by reviewing and addressing problems and complaints regarding licensing and tax issues;
Coordinates with the County Attorney's Office on litigation regarding business financial issues;
Establishes and maintains the implementation of sound internal controls per fiscal policies and procedures, ensuring taxpayer and fiscal records are reconciled monthly and in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, and coordinating with external auditors;
Oversees all year-end adjustments and closings in preparation of the year-end audit;
Administers and maintains department contracts, maintains vendor relationships, issues Requests for Proposals and conducts other purchasing responsibilities;
Prepare and complete for the Division's Chief a variety of strategic planning, preparation of various reports, project management, and assists the Chief with the completion of special projects as assigned;
Carries out special projects and assignments, and serves on County-wide action teams as assigned or requested.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Comprehensive knowledge of and ability to interpret state, and local tax laws;
· knowledge of administrative policies governing state income and personal property taxes, fiduciary, and licensing activities;
· Advanced knowledge of standard computerized systems includes MS Office Suite;
· Familiarity with standard banking procedures regarding deposits, endorsements and wire transfers;
· Knowledge of all aspects of a Commissioner of the Revenue and Treasurer’s Office functions including knowledge of Virginia tax laws and pertaining to assessments, collections, and tax administration in general;
· Knowledge of basic accounting and budgeting principles;
· Exceptional customer service skills;
· Ability to analyze and address issues pertaining to individuals and businesses licensing and tax issues;
· Ability to analyze complex data and think strategically;
· Ability to promote teamwork and set objectives for organization-wide priorities;
· Ability to establish effective working relationships with officials, co-workers, senior management, and the general public;
· Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial information for presentation;
· Ability to communicate well with others, both orally and in writing, using both technical and non-technical language;
· Ability to prepare and present accurate and reliable reports containing findings and recommendations;
· Ability to perform a wide variety of duties and responsibilities with accuracy and speed under the pressure of time-sensitive deadlines.
Physical Conditions and Nature Of Work Contacts:
Conducts work in a sitting position; however, job requires frequent movement around the building and office as well as stooping and light lifting. Regular contact is made with all organizational levels and communication may not be easy due to: (a) uncooperativeness; (b) sensitive information; and (c) the need to persuade or influence certain individuals or groups. Good communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills are necessary to manage the tax accounting staff, report to upper management, and work with project stakeholders in multiple phases of project planning.
The Salary Requirements:
The salary range for this position is $60,266-$72,312 per year. Starting offer is based on applicable education beyond minimum, experience and internal equity. The position also provides excellent benefits including 12 paid holidays, paid vacation and sick leave, health insurance options with employer contribution, employer-paid life insurance, VRS retirement, and continuing education/training opportunities. This is a full time, FLSA Exempt position. Internal candidates will receive pay adjustments in accordance with Local Government Personnel Policy,§P-60.
Applicant Deadline: The application deadline is October 31, 2019, 5:00pm ET.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in business administration, finance, taxation, accounting, economics or closely related field, and four years of progressively responsible experience performing supervisory work in a technically oriented environment, preferably in a similar local government agency. Designation as Master Deputy Treasurer or Master Deputy Commissioner of the Revenue is also preferred. A master's degree in Accounting, Business, Finance, Taxation, Public Administration, or related field and/or CPA designation is desirable.
About Albemarle Local Governement
Albemarle County Local Government and Schools is the second largest employer in the Charlottesville/Albemarle area. It’s our mission to enhance the well-being and quality of life for all citizens through the provision of the highest level of public service consistent with the prudent use of public funds.
We deliver this in a diverse locality, with rural, suburban and urban characteristics. The Albemarle County Core Values are the foundation for all we do.
• Integrity: We value our customers and co-workers by always providing honest and fair treatment.
• Innovation: We embrace creativity and positive change. Learn about this from the People of Albemarle. Have you heard about our partnership for an autonomous shuttle in Crozet?
• Stewardship: We honor our role as stewards of the public trust by managing our natural, human and financial resources respectfully and responsibly.
• Learning: We encourage and support lifelong learning and personal and professional growth. We support our team through internal and external training opportunity. Check out our free in-house training opportunities.
We take care of our team, offering employees BE WELL Albemarle support to provide ...opportunities to understand and follow an active lifestyle that promotes a culture of good health and wellness. Did someone say discounted gym membership, please?
We take care of the environment, with a department dedicated to programs supporting Pollution Prevention (P2), Energy Conservation and other environmental initiatives.