The Immigrant Justice Project of the Southern Poverty Law Center primarily works to (1) fight against state practices that funnel people into the deportation machine; (2) free immigrants from detention through individual representation and systemic reform; (3) change immigration and enforcement systems so they operate fairly and sensibly; (4) enforce laws protecting migrants from mistreatment by governments or employers; and (5) support immigrant communities in the states in which we work as they demand respect for their dignity and humanity; and end discrimination based on immigration status or national origin;
The Senior Staff Attorney will litigate individual and class action civil rights cases in federal courts at the trial and appellate levels. S/he may develop and lead legislative work and public advocacy campaigns. The focus of the position may change as warranted by changes in the law, the circumstances facing immigrants, or the needs of the organization.
This position can be based in Atlanta, GA, Miami, FL or New Orleans, LA.
Primary Job Functions:
- Develop and lead litigation and campaigns in collaboration with SPLC attorneys, policy counsel, outreach paralegals, communications staff, and partner organizations;
- Draft briefs, memos, and other documents in support of litigation, policy advocacy, and public education;
- Analyze legal and policy developments related to immigrant justice;
- Communicate regularly with SPLC’s clients, co-counsel, and partner organizations;
- Manage the legal work of law fellows and staff attorneys;
- Supervise outreach activities related to litigation and campaigns;
- Represent SPLC in various fora, including before community groups, legislators, and regulatory agencies;
- Respond to requests for legal assistance and provide technical assistance to immigrant communities and partner organizations;
- Other duties as may be assigned to meet SPLC needs.
Please submit your resume, cover letter, a writing sample of up to 10 pages, a copy of your law school transcript (unofficial transcript is acceptable), and a list of three references.
Other Special Considerations:
This position is represented by the Washington-Baltimore News Guild.
This job is performed under general office conditions, and is not subject to any strenuous physical demands or dangerous conditions.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
An Equal-Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity
Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we consider applicants equally of race, gender, gender identity, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation, national origin, or prior record of arrest or conviction.