The information between the asterisks provides additional clarification about this particular job opening, the information after the asterisks contains the corporate job description for Nationwide.
We are looking for someone to join our Central Property team. We are looking for individuals to support our Desk Settlement Team, Property Repair Network Team, and our Independent Adjuster Team.
This opportunity does include working catastrophe (CAT) duty, which would involve working outside of normal business hours.
We will staff these positions in either the Des Moines, IA office; Grandview Heights, OH office.
This opportunity is posted as a Specialist II (E3), but can be filled as a Specialist I (D3) based on skills and qualifications. ?
Highly preferred, but not required:
Customer service experience
Claims handling experience, property experience is a plus
Subject matter expert or coaching/mentoring experience is a plus
System knowledge is a plus (ClaimsCenter, Xactimate, Xactanalysis)
Desk Settlement Team – Responsible for estimating content losses and non-complex structure losses that can be handled without a field inspection. Preferred skill sets for this role include: strong customer service, organized and good time management, claims knowledge/background, strong written and verbal communication.
Property Repair Network Team – Responsible for managing claims that are handled through our preferred property repair network. Preferred skill sets for this role include: strong customer service, organized and good time management, estimating proficiency, claims knowledge/background, strong written and verbal communication.
Independent Adjuster Team – Responsible for managing claims assigned to company approved Independent Adjusting firms. Preferred skill sets for this role include: strong estimating and negotiation skills, ability to scope and estimate damages from aerial imagery, claims knowledge/background, strong written and verbal communication.
Job Description Summary
JOB SUMMARY: Investigates and resolves personal lines claims and supplements via telephone. Promotes and provides "On Your Side" customer service. Responsible for the handling of claims in accordance within prescribed authority and Best Claims Practices.
RELATIONSHIP: Reports to Claims Manager
1. Delivers a positive “On Your Side” customer service experience to internal, external, current, and prospective Nationwide customers. Adheres to high standards of professional conduct consistent with the delivery of superior service.
2. Captures first notice of loss for new homeowners claims and, when possible, handles these claims to conclusion, delivering optimal customer service.
3. Provides first-level customer service for agents, members, and other customers through direct inbound calls, responding to all questions and inquiries.
4. Promptly and effectively handles to conclusion all assigned claims with little to no direction and oversight. Makes decisions within delegated authority as outlined in company policies and procedures. Adheres to high standards of professional conduct consistent with the delivery of superior service. These options include the use of the Property Repair Network, independent adjusters, and self-written estimates.
5. Provided leadership to less experienced claims associates.
6. Provides continuous feedback to management regarding trends, processes, and practices in effort to improve the efficiency of the organization and the satisfaction of its customers
7. When assigned, manages Property Repair Network vendors or Independent Adjuster. Reviews all estimates proposed by vendors or adjuster and explains scope of work to members.
8. Opens, closes, and adjusts reserves in accordance with company practices designed to ensure reserve adequacy. Recommends special reserves where necessary, in accordance with Corporate Reserving Guidelines. Makes decisions within delegated authority as outlined in company policies and procedures
9. Determines proper policy coverage on claims and supplements, using Best Claims Practices to investigate, evaluate, negotiate, and finalize assigned property claims.
10. Receives notices of new large loss claims and makes first meaningful contact. Evaluates merits of claim to determine best settlement path. If warranted, handles claim through Property Repair Network. Otherwise, coordinates emergency services and temporary accommodations for member, informing them of all relevant field assignments.
11. Initiates and conducts follow-ups via proficient use of claims systems and related business systems. 12. Maintains and develops current knowledge of: assigned insurance lines, court decisions that may affect the claims function, current guidelines in the claims function, and policy changes and modifications. This may require attendance at various seminars or training sessions.
13. Maintains current knowledge of local industry repair procedures and local market pricing. Submits severe incident reports, reinsurance reports, and other information to claims management as needed.
14. Partners with SIU and Subrogation to identify fraud and subrogation opportunities. Assists or prepares files for suit, trial, or subrogation. (Property/MD/Casualty). Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Education: Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience preferred.
Licenses/Designations: State licensing where required. Successful completion of required/applicable claims certification training/classes.
Experience: Preferred three to five years of related claims handling or construction experience. Experience in a customer service environment including flexible work schedule and extended hours preferred.
Knowledge: Frequent use and general knowledge of insurance theory, practices, contracts, and their application. Solid understanding of claims processing, claims systems, construction terminology, estimating practices, and Best Claims Practices.
Skills/Competencies: Proven ability to meet customer needs and provide exemplary service. Analytical skills necessary to make decisions and resolve conflicts, including: the correct application of coverage, the application of laws of jurisdiction during investigation, application of policy exclusions and exceptions, and management of all involved vendors. Ability to work in a fast-paced and team-based environment. Organizational skills to effectively prioritize and manage increased workloads while maintaining quality and service level expectations. Demonstrated proficiency of written/verbal communication skills for contact and/or negotiations with policyholders, claimants, repairpersons, attorneys, agents, and the general public. Ability to efficiently operate personal computer and software for claims-related and other business applications.
Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values and Guiding Behaviors.
Staffing Exceptions to the above Minimum Job Requirements must be approved by: Business Unit Executive and Human Resources.
Working Conditions: Normal office environment. May require ability to sit and operate telephone and personal computer for extended periods. Must be willing to work irregular hours and to travel with possible overnight requirements. Must be available to work catastrophes (CAT) requiring travel to CAT sites with multiple onsite responsibilities and/or for extended periods. Extended and/or non-standard hours as required.
Credit/Background Check: Due to the fiduciary accountabilities within this job, a valid credit check and/or background check will be required as part of the selection process.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
Job Evaluation Activity: 9/27/13 AJL
#claimsSmoke-Free Iowa Statement: Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company, its affiliates and subsidiaries comply with the Iowa Smokefree Air Act. Smoking is prohibited in all enclosed areas on or around company premises as well as company issued vehicles. The company offers designated smoking areas in which smoking is permitted at each individual location. The Act prohibits retaliation for reporting complaints or violations. For more information on the Iowa Smokefree Air Act, individuals may contact the Smokefree Air Act Helpline at 888-944-2247.
Internal Number: 60702
Imagine a place where you do meaningful work every day. Where the effort you put in is acknowledged and rewarded. Where your sense of purpose is discovered and fostered. Where you can be your very best self. You’ve found that place in Nationwide. We are America’s most diversified financial services organization. We’re trusted advisers for our members, offering solutions like home and auto insurance, life insurance, retirement savings tools such as annuities and mutual funds as well as business insurance, pet insurance and identify theft protection. Join something great, where you can make a difference!