Ideal candidates will have knowledge of employment law and labor relations.
This is an in-house position for an experienced attorney with five to seven years of experience handling general health care, risk mitigation, business, employment and labor relations, regulatory and contractual matters. Reporting directly to the Associate General Counsel, the Legal Counsel will work collaboratively and respectfully across departments to anticipate, identify, and manage Gundersen’s legal issues. Legal Counsel will develop strategies and offer advice and innovative solutions to empower Gundersen to improve outcomes, efficiencies, and the experience of care within the parameters of the law.
1. Applies the law to advance the Mission of Gundersen Health System, including its controlled affiliate entities, consistent with its Vision and Triple Aim.
2. Analyzes federal and state statutes, laws, rules, and regulations relevant to Gundersen, including, but not limited to, the following areas of law: Antitrust, Business Transactions, Corporate Law/Governance, Employment/Human Resources, HIPAA/Privacy/Security, Intellectual Property, Medicare/Medicaid/Third Party Payor (Medicare Conditions of Participation, Stark, Anti-kickback, EMTALA, Claims Submission, Provider-Based Status, 340B, State Medicaid Plans), Patient Care, Risk Management (Medical Malpractice, Claims Management, Professional Liability Insurance), Real Estate, and Telemedicine; Provides legal advice to Gundersen leaders regarding the same in a timely and organized manner.
3. Anticipates and identifies legal issues of concern for Gundersen leaders and develops legal strategies and solutions; Prepares opinions of counsel as needed.
4. Drafts, reviews, and negotiates contracts and related documents to support Gundersen operations (For example, contracts related to the provision of health care and related services, procurement of goods and services, transfer of patients between institutions, confidentiality of proprietary information, leases of space and equipment, real estate, software licenses, and electronic transmission of healthcare data); Develops and updates contracting templates, terms and conditions, and related materials to support contracts across Gundersen; Provides education to Gundersen staff in contracting strategies and best practices.
5. Conducts training of Gundersen staff in areas of legal specialty and develops training materials.
6. Participates in and renders legal advice to various Gundersen committees; Provides support and participates in decision-making processes, offering both legal and strategic business advice to various departments including, but not limited to, Continuous Readiness, Health Information Management, Employee and Labor Relations, Risk Management, Peer Review, and Hospital Operations Management; Supports Gundersen’s Compliance function and programs by providing legal analyses and opinions, identifying and communicating changes in the law, and leading investigations where appropriate.
7. Drafts and reviews corporate policies to ensure compliance will applicable statutes, laws, rules, and regulations, as well as Gundersen’s Mission, Vision, and Values.
8. Provides departmental on-call coverage.
9. Legal Counsel enhances professional growth and development through participation in Continuing Legal Education; Maintains professional affiliations and Keeps abreast of developments and trends in health law relevant to Gundersen’s operations and strategic initiatives.
10. Legal Counsel performs other job-related duties as requested by the Associate General Counsel, General Counsel, and/or Gundersen leaders.
Education and Learning:
Juris Doctor (JD) degree
5-7 years of experience handling general health care, risk mitigation, business, and contractual matters
1 year experience in a healthcare or employment and labor relations setting
License and Certifications:
Licensed to Practice Law in the State of Wisconsin (LPL) or eligible for in-house exception
Licensed to Practice Law in the State of Minnesota or Licensed to Practice Law in the State of Iowa
Age Specific Population Served:
Nonage Specific (N/A)
Category III - No employees in this job title have a reasonably anticipated risk of occupational exposure to blood and/or other potentially infectious materials.
Not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions (as in typical office or administrative work).
At Gundersen Health System, we've made it our priority to enrich the lives of our employees as they find a career they love in our physician-led, integrated healthcare system. Using each employee's unique talents and passions, Gundersen is committed to delivering exceptional patient- and family-centered care to the communities we serve in western Wisconsin, northeastern Iowa and southeastern Minnesota.