Akin Gump is seeking a self-motivated professional to transform how the firm governs its digital information. Based in the firm’s Office of General Counsel, and working closely with the firm’s Information Technology department, the Manager for Information Governance Systems will serve as Akin Gump’s lead systems professional for governance of digital information. This professional will lead a team of systems engineers, specialists, and vendors focused on implementing system controls that promote compliance with records retention policies, client confidentiality requirements, data privacy regulations, and information security protections.
The Manager, Information Governance Systems can reside in the Dallas, Houston, New York or Washington, DC offices.
Key responsibilities of this position include:
- Integrate core information systems with the firm’s records management system.
- Analyze silos of information, and delete or transfer that information in accordance with the firm’s records retention policy.
- Implement access and deletion controls that efficiently protect the confidentiality of client and other firm information.
- Facilitate transfers of digital client matter files to and from the firm’s document management system, network drives, and email systems.
- Develop and execute procedures for disposing of firm records in accordance with firm record retention policies.
- Create and maintain access control structures using the firm’s ethical wall software and access groups within the firm’s document management system.
Qualifications (Experience, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities):
- Bachelor degree preferred
- A minimum of 5 years of experience with each of the following activities is preferred:
- evaluating, designing, and documenting system processes
- processing structured and unstructured data for import and export
- creating data reports
- managing projects
- Substantive knowledge of information management practices related to records retention, data privacy controls, and user practices that promote cybersecurity. Law firm experience preferred, but not required
- Proficiency at processing structured and unstructured data for import and export: identifying and producing reasonably usable formats; creating load files; adjusting load files; identifying and executing an efficient transfer method; and controlling quality
- Ability to analyze and visualize data with spreadsheets, data dashboards, and other data reporting tools. Experience with SQL databases and Microsoft Power BI preferred
- Strong project management skills
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, set priorities, and meet project deadlines