Responsible for patrolling assigned campus areas on foot, in patrol car or on bicycle to control traffic, prevent crime, disturbance of peace and arrest violators. Provides the University community with a safe and secure environment in which to live, work and learn. Ensures the security of all Campus buildings and residential housing. The Lehigh community takes seriously our commitment to antiracism and The Principles of our Equitable Community.
1. Provides routine safety, security and enforcement services to the campus *Responds to campus emergencies as needed *Maintains visibility/accessibility; generates own work by activity while on duty *Patrols campus grounds by vehicle, foot or other means; completes daily assignments without supervision *Checks and secures buildings; assures buildings are cleared for fire alarms; reports on maintenance and safety issues *Directs or reroutes traffic around incidents or disruptions; issues tickets for traffic/vehicular/parking violations; disperses unruly crowds at public gatherings *Warns and/or arrests violators **Knows, understands and follows all Department and University policies and procedures, local, state and federal laws and ordinances *Enhances knowledge and technique related to campus safety *Exercises common sense and sound judgment in decision making; able to make important decisions; knows when to seek assistance *Makes accurate and correct decisions related to the situation in a timely manner *Readily accepts responsibility; seeks new duties, both short and long term; readily accepts overtime and extra hours to complete job *Maintains annual proficiency with firearms training and defensive tactics
2. Investigate crimes, accidents and/or other incidents *Investigates accident scene to obtain clues and gather evidence, questions suspects, witnesses and/or victims *Provides follow-up contact with victims and/or suspects in all crimes *Prepares incident reports/criminal complaints *Arrests or assists in arrest of criminal and/or suspect *Prepares assigned cases for court and testifies as necessary *Interacts with outside agencies such as the District Attorney's office or contracted services *Handles court functions without incident
3. Emergency Response *First responder for all types of campus emergencies: accidents, behavioral, criminal, fire, medical, etc. *Administers emergency medical assistance *Obtains witness and/or victims’ information *Provides urgent and necessary patient information to responders *Directs individuals to and from scene including campus responders, ambulance, fire department, personnel, etc. *Maintains NIMS certification
4. Crime Prevention and Community Outreach *Participates in crime prevention activities and initiatives for students and/or other campus constituents *May provide advice or guidance to campus constituents regarding crime prevention *Makes community contacts while on duty. Establishes rapport with students, faculty, staff and visitors *Familiarizes self with the campus, faculty/students/staff and activities of the campus *May act as Department Instructor for various topics *Regularly makes contact with Lehigh community members *Provides assistance services to campus constituents - e.g., building lockouts, jump starts, keys locked in vehicles, etc. *Willingly participates in community policing and programs *May be assigned to community policing duty *Maintains a customer services attitude and treats all individuals with dignity and respect regardless of the situation *Knows, understands and follows all Department and University policies and procedures
5. Paperwork and Administration *Responsible for ensuring that all reports and incidents are recorded properly and professionally for each incident in a timely manner during the shift/same day of incident *Documents Police activities and issues - i.e., writes/files daily activity reports, maintains daily log sheet, and writes incident/accident reports *Responsible for reports that are factual, accurate, comprehensive and clearly explain the situation and contain few errors or problems *Ensure follow-up reports are completed in a timely manner *Knows, follows, and understands all University and Department policies and procedures *Handles all court and off-duty functions *Always wears proper uniform for season and event; uniform is always neat and professional; Officer is consistently well-groomed *Maintains all Department-issued equipment and vehicles; reports maintenance issues *Maintains service weapon per Department standards *Knows all related federal, state, and local laws and ordinances *Able to work without supervision *Keeps work area clean and orderly while on duty *Stays informed of knowledge relating to administrative activities.
Position Number: S74350
The duties of the position do not allow for a remote work option; the employee in this position will be required to work on campus where they can be fully accessible to the Lehigh community
This position is considered Essential Services Staff; Essential Services Staff are required to report to campus and remain during inclement weather and other emergency situations; they are defined as those needed to deliver student services and maintain campus facilities, campus safety and security
Will nearly continuously need to talk or hear
Will often be required to walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, lift up to 50 pounds, work near moving mechanical parts
Will sometimes be required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, lift up to 100 pounds, work in we or humid non-weather conditions
This position is responsible for driving University-owned vehicles as a routine function, therefore a valid Driver’s License and a good driving record is required
This position works with minors
High school diploma or GED is required
ACT 120 Certification is required
One to three years related work experience
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Good writing ability and organizational skills
Excellent decision-making skills
Solid computer skills with experience using word processing and spreadsheet software
Valid Driver’s License required and good driving record
Successful completion of standard background checks including but not limited to: social security verification, education verification, national criminal background checks, motor vehicle checks, PATCH, FBI fingerprinting, Child Abuse Clearance and credit history based upon the requirements of the position
Because of increasing COVID case counts in the region and new information about the characteristics of the Delta/Omicron variant, all Lehigh faculty and staff will be required to be fully vaccinated unless they receive an approved medical or religious exemption from the requirement.
Only complete applications will be considered therefore please complete the application in its entirety. Once the posting is removed from the website applications may no longer be allowed to be completed.
Lehigh is a premier residential research university, ranked in the top tier of national research universities each year. We are a coeducational, nondenominational, private university that offers a distinct academic environment of undergraduate and graduate students from across the globe.